On the World breastfeeding week 1 Aug- 7, I would like to wish all the lactating mother’s a very happy breastfeeding week. Being a lactating mom of an 8 month old son, I would love to share that – When you choose to breastfeed, you make an investment in your baby’s future. Every woman’s journey to motherhood is different, but one of the first decisions a new mom makes is how to feed her child.
Breastfeeding allows you to make the food that is perfect for your baby. Your milk gives your baby the healthy start that will last a lifetime. In addition to containing all the vitamins and nutrients your baby needs in the first six months of life, breast milk is packed with disease-fighting substances that protect your baby from illness.
Here’s a look at some of the most important benefits breastfeeding offers you and your baby.
- Breastfeeding protects your baby from a long list of illnesses.
- It can protect your baby from developing allergies.
- Breastfeeding may boost your child’s intelligence.
- It may protect your child from obesity.
- Breastfed babies are better at eating until their hunger is satisfied, leading to healthier eating patterns as they grow.
- Breast milk contains less insulin than formula. (Insulin stimulates the creation of fat.)
- Breastfed babies have more leptin in their system, a hormone that researchers believe plays a role in regulating appetite and fat.
- Compared with breastfed babies, formula-fed infants gain weight more rapidly in the first weeks of life. This rapid weight gain is associated with later obesity.
- Breastfeeding can reduce mother stress level and mother’s risk of postpartum depression.
- It may reduce mother’s risk of some types of cancer.
Enjoy every moment and enjoy motherhood!