Daliya is unrefined wheat and is also a good source of fiber. Daliya Idli with Vegetables is a unique dish which is made with Broken Wheat (Daliya) and Vegetables in an Idli’s form. These idli’s taste great when served hot with sambar and coconut chutney. Idli is a traditional breakfast item in every South Indian household. It is a comfort food which is enjoyed by everyone of all ages. Trust me, it is a great food for kids. They can enjoy something new and different and at the same time get all the nutrition from it.
Ingredients for Daliya Idli vegetables:
1 Cup Daliya (Broken/Cracked Wheat)
1/2 Cup Curd / Plain Yogurt
1 small Onion (Finely Chopped)
1 Tbsp Carrot (Finely Chopped)
1 Tbsp Capsicum (Finely Chopped)
1 Tbsp Peas
1 Tbsp Oil
Salt as per Taste
1/2 to 1 glass Water
To prepare Daliya Idli with Vegetables:
1. Heat Oil on medium flame in a pan. Add Carrot, Green Chillies and saute for a while then add Peas, Capsicum and Salt. Mix well and let it cook on medium flame for 2 minutes to help soften the vegetables.
2. After 2 minutes, switch off the stove and transfer the vegetables in a bowl.
Preparing Daliya Idli batter
1. Add Daliya to vegetable mix and mix well. Then add Curd and required amount of water and Mix well. Cover the lid and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 min Dalia Idli batter is ready to use. At this stage add some more water if its required and mix well.
Steaming Daliya Idli
1. Grease the idli maker with cooking spray or vegetable oil, pour the batter in each mould.
2. Fill the idli cooker or pressure cooker with 2 to 3 cups of water and put the idli maker into the cooker and steam it for about 17 to 20 minutes. Serve this hot healthy idli with your favourite chutney and Sambar.
1. It is a good source of the daily requirement of fiber and manganese in your food. As it is high in protein and low in fat and calories, it offers you nutrients without adding pounds to your body.
2. It’s an excellent diet for people who want to lose weight.
3. A cup of Daliya has fewer calories, less fat, and more than twice the fiber of brown rice. It helps to keep your digestive tract healthy.
4. The insoluble fiber it contains absorbs water, thus promoting faster elimination of waste.