Corn (Challi/Bhutta/Makai) – The secret health benefits
Who all love to eat Challi in Monsoon? On my way to Kasauli, in pretty busy traffic, eventually saw a Challi wala on the roadside and we could not stop ourselves from trying the mouth watering corn. The masala and lemon they apply on it enhances the flavor which makes it even more yummier. Challi is probably the cheapest healthy snack available. India is the only place where you will find this healthy snack on the roadside.
These days corns are sold everywhere. You must have tried those masala corn cups from the stalls in cinemas and shopping malls. And of-course not to forget the popcorns. A movie is incomplete without popcorns
Facts and health benefits of Corn (Challi/Bhutta/Makai)
- Corn can benefit your health, as it delivers B vitamins, folic acid, vitamin C, protein and fiber.
- Corn has about 86 calories per 100 g of weight.
- Apart from being a delectable snack for kids and adults, it is also one of the healthiest foods known to mankind.
- Studies have shown that antioxidants found in corn can fight cancer-causing free radicals.
- Helps in maintaining normal bone growth, bone health and kidney functioning. Magnesium, especially, plays an important role in regulating the heart rate and strengthening bones.
- Helps in weight loss too.
Some tips for you
- Don’t cover it in butter and other fatty sauces. This will increase the calorie and fat content of an already carb-rich food. Instead, flavor your corn with a variety of spices to further increase the nutritional value.
- If you must eat your corn with butter, use a light spray-on butter and spray sparingly.
- Mind the portion size. Too much of anything is not good.
- Corn is also great in salads and used as a pizza topping.
- When buying corn, make sure the husks appear green and fresh; they should not look dried out.
- Pull back the husks and examine the kernels, which should look plump and arranged in tight rows.
Once you pick out the perfect looking corn, take it home, cook it as desired, and enjoy every bite!